Friday, January 24, 2014

Deadly Dee's Review for "All Together Now: A Zombie Story" by Robert Kent

Moan for joy!!! To celebrate its new cover, All Together Now: A Zombie Story is free on January 24 and 25. Get your copy at Amazon.

Book Summary
Yea though we perish, yea though we die, we'll all be together in the sweet by and by...

Fifteen-year-old Ricky Genero is writing a journal of the zombie apocalypse. His high school has burned to the ground, his friends are all either dead or shambling corpses roaming the earth in search of human flesh, and his best friend died saving his six-year-old brother Chuck from a zombie horde. When Chuck is bitten and infected with the zombie virus, Ricky must travel among the walking dead in search of a cure.


WARNING


This YOUNG ADULT novel is mean and nasty and intended for a mature audience. It is absolutely not appropriate for younger readers. All Together Now: A Zombie Story is a gruesome, repugnant tale featuring horrific acts of violence sure to warp young minds.
 
 


Deadly Dee's Review
 

So, if you've read any of my past book reviews you know by now I don't usually mince words. I'm actually kind of surprised authors still want to give me their books, because I feel like I'm not the nicest reviewer out there. I'm pretty hard on them if their writing doesn't really "do it" for me (or is filled with typos - ick) but heck - at least I can sleep knowing I'm honest to you guys - the readers.
 
So, let me start this review on All Together Now by saying this:
 
Wow.
 
Wow. Wow. Wow.
 
I was so totally and completely taken by surprise by this novel. If you're like me, and love reading indie authors, you know it's a lot of hit and miss out there. Ok... a lot of miss. This is one HUGE hit. Kent's writing style flows naturally. He reads like someone who was born to tell a story, and I for one, feel like I want to keep reading his stories (hint hint Rob - gimme more!!)
 
YA fiction, imho, can be so stilted sometimes - it kinda makes you wonder if the person writing it was ever young. (...and if they were, did they just sleep through adolescence and then totally forget what it was like?)
 
On the other hand, if I'm going to enjoy reading a YA book, it's got to have enough oomph in it that I, as an adult (no, don't ask how old I am, who cares?!) actually get caught up in it and care.
 
I really cared about the characters in this book. A lot.
 
Besides that though, the story itself was fresh and different - not your typical run of the mill zombie story. I wasn't sure I was going to like the journal concept, but that also flowed well.
 
Oh, and did I add that it actually felt believable? Believable and zombies all together in one place! What a concept!
 
One word of warning: Watch out for the ending. I kind of thought I should've seen it coming, but I didn't. Made it rock even more.
 
Mr. Kent, you are the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment