Saturday, November 16, 2013

Deadly Dee's Review of "Corpse Days"

Corpse Days by Jonathon Kane

Book Summary
Heather Storm is an Agent specializing in all things zombie.  Her mission is to stop a threat aiming to end the world through the rise of the living dead.  She'll need some help; however, since the government is low on funds in this zombie-inhabited world, she'll take what she can get.  Together, her small group of zombie hunters will attempt to infiltrate an expansive organization and take down its malevolent leader.




Deadly Dee's Review
 
Corpse Days by Jonathon Kane is a well written, different zombie novel. (Yay!!) Kane has definitely written a new twist in this genre. The book is exciting, and held my interest from the very first scene.
 
I have to admit, if an author doesn't suck me in by the end of the first page, I'm reluctant to continue. Usually I'll continue to read on, for at least two or three more pages to at least see if it gets any better (I try to give the author a chance to not suck... I want to be fair...) but honestly, I kind of have a rule I go by when I read a book. When I was in high school, I had a teacher who told my class that the best way to judge if a book interested you was to read the first page. If you want to turn the page and see what happens next, chances are you'll enjoy the book. If you couldn't care less, put the book back. For most of my life, this has worked pretty well for me.
 
(I totally don't get people who tell me they hate a book, but are going to finish it because they feel they should finish it since they started it. Really?? Why?!?)
 
I eagerly turned every page of Corpse Days, and enjoyed every minute of reading.
 
The two main characters Heather and Stan struggle with real emotions, and aren't portrayed as immune to what is going on around them. That seemed real to me, unlike many other zombie novels out there where people seem to just go around killing indiscriminately, and not caring what is happening much to others. There were some gory scenes, but they are relevant to the story, not just thrown in there to horrify you along the way. The novel has a lot of plot twists, and several scenes that have you on edge or totally take you by surprise (now THAT is good writing!)
 
Kane's writing style itself is very fluid, and I'd be happy to read anything else he writes. Do yourself a favor and check out Corpse Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment