Monday, July 8, 2013

Zombified Interview with Cedric Nye

Cedric Nye is the bloody badass behind the Jango series. With two gruesome offerings already haunting nightmares, he's taken time out of training for the battle against the dead to let us dig around in his brain...
 
Ang: When were you first bitten by the zombie affliction? Can you take us back to how the infection began? What’s the most difficult part about sharing this ghoulish love as an indie?

 
Cedric: When I was a four years old, my parents got a divorce. My father beat me like a drum, and my mother spent some time as a sort of prostitute. I found Zombies when I was stuck watching television at her “friend’s” house one time. I was four, and the movie was “Night of the Living Dead.”
 
I kind of realized then that Zombies were all around me. Not the brain-munching groaners from beyond the grave, but the human Zombies. They take and take, and they can never fill that emptiness inside. Their hunger can never be satiated. They feed on their fellow humans by stealing, abusing, and worse.
 
Zombies became a symbol of man’s darkness, man’s evil, and the Abyss that all humanity constantly walks beside.
 
What is difficult about sharing Zombies? Ha! People don’t want to see the darkness as it truly is. We want our fear to live far away, and only visit when we are ready for it. People fear the truth because it shows us the dark possibilities that reside in us all. It is all connected, abuse, the evil humans perpetrate, the mindless consumption…
 
Ang: If you had to dumb down the plot of your series so a zombie could understand, how would you explain it?
 
Cedric: If I had to explain my series to a Zombie, I would simply kill the Zombie, and then leave a hand written note on its chest that would explain everything. My books are about darkness, and TRUTH. The kind of truth that makes hard men cry. Death, violence, sex, fire, these things are coincidental in my books, they are not the whole story. I shed light on all different kinds of abuse because people need to know that the Zombies have always been here. I also want people to know that they deserve better. Jango shows people that they do not have to eat shit, because other things are on the menu!
 
Ang: Describe the lucky survivors who engage with the festering horde of the dead.
 
Cedric: The lucky survivors end up having to fight against the predations of their still-human neighbors. Shit gets ugly because as long as one human wants power over another, the crap-hammer will always be waiting to drop. The Zombies are also on the move, and things just keep getting uglier.
 
Ang: What was the most important aspect when writing your non-zombie characters? Realism (losers, assholes, and cowards) or fantasy (Rambo or the guy/gal who has a Rambo hiding inside them)?
 
Cedric: TRUTH! I try to bring a hard realism to the books that I write. I imagine myself in the story, and I try to get out of the bad situations. I have always done that. I practice combat scenarios so that when I have to fight, I have a little preparation already. That helps me to build a better story for my fellow Zombie Enthusiasts.
 
Ang: Does your series begin just as the zombies start building their paradise or have zombies already gotten things rocking and rotting?
 
Cedric: Things had just gone wonky when Jango pokes his crazy head out of his hotel room and realizes that things have gone sideways, and Zombies are looking to get a Jango treat.
 
Ang: Zombies are people too. They come in all shapes, sizes, speeds, and smarts. What type of the walking dead inhabit your series?
 
Cedric: Fast Zombies who hunt in packs. They have rudimentary communication via horrible and soul-searing howls.
 
Ang: Will your infection spread to more books and series? How many blood and guts offerings do you predict in your future? How soon can our zombie and human readers expect to see your next festering contribution?
 
Cedric: Book 3 is in the works. Jango will die when he dies. His religion is revenge, and he worships at the altar of violence. The Apocalypse Road only ends at the graveyard.
 
Ang: What is your favorite way to kill a zombie? Shoot ‘em, hack ‘em, poke ‘em, burn ‘em, or something even more fiendish? ***Zombie readers please turn away to avoid having your putrefied feelings eviscerated.
 
Cedric: Jango isn’t a violence-snob. He uses whatever is handy to dispatch humans and Zombies alike. That being said; for small gaggles of goobers, Jango pops skulls with his Ironwood stick. He uses his own version of Bataireacht (Irish Stick Fighting). When there are large numbers of the wailing undead, Jango loves to use accelerants and fire!
 
Ang: Do you have a favorite cinematic zombie? Example: My co-blogger Zombie Earl is quite fond of Zombie Roger from the original Dawn of the Dead.
 
Cedric: I love all Zombies. They keep me honest with myself. I am partial to the faster Zombies because they pose more of a threat, which makes it more…..INTERESTING!
 
Ang: Who is your favorite character from The Walking Dead (comics or TV show)?
 
Cedric: Daryl Dixon because he is truth. No belly-aching, no extra lip-service. He is a do or die bad-ass.
 
Ang: Finally, how prepared are you for the zombie apocalypse that we all know is just around the corner?
 
Cedric: Hell, I developed a workout just to stay fighting fit and Apocalypse –hard! Post-Apocalyptic fitness BEFORE the Apocalypse gets here! I train hard. I burn the softness from my body and mind in the crucible of vicious exercise. Ready? I have been ready since I was four!
 
Chow down on Cedric's books at Amazon.
 
Chase after Cedric at Goodreads and YouTube.

1 comment: